Tuesday, May 11, 2010

You may now begin the eyerolls.

A high school friend of mine started selling Stella & Dot jewelry and I made the INNOCENT mistake of clicking on her link and CRAP SANDWICH I saw a necklace I NEEDED TO HAVE.

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEDED.

But shoot, it was $250 and A) I have NO BUSINESS buying a $250 necklace and B) well, that's pretty much it. I just shouldn't be spending money on that kind of stuff.

EVEN IF my current wall-o-necklaces has been leaving me cold lately.

I found something similar-ish at Anthropologie for the LOW LOW PRICE of $60 so I bought it to try to talk myself out of the Stella & Dot necklace (Anthropologie shoppers will laugh that Anthropologie was the *value* option in this scenario) but it broke almost immediately and it was scratchy and just generally not as pretty as the one I actually wanted so I returned it.

Another friend of mine had just signed up to be a Stella & Dot "stylist" and talking to her about it made me think that maybe I could do it too, but be super passive about the whole thing. I absolutely could not stomach the whole hitting-my-friends-and-family-up-to-host-Tupperware-parties thing but I figured I'd get the stylist sample price on the necklace I was dying for (and okay maybe a few others) and if a few web sales came my way, great.

So I talked to Gemma about it all and while I was SUPER tempted, I decided that no, I'd continue to resist the necklace and just try to get more life out of the jewelry I already have.

BUT THEN, when Lauren and I were on our "three hour tour" on Saturday we sat on the patio of a restaurant in downtown Livermore and I just raaaaaaaandomly opened my trap and complemented a lady walking by on her necklace. She stopped and told me that she got it from one of those Tupperware party things, but for jewelry.

STELLA & DOT?

YES!

DAGNABBIT, THE NECKLACES WERE FOLLOWING ME.

And then, because we were still sitting there when the lady and her husband walked by again like an hour later, he poked my arm and told me that I needed a new necklace too.

I KNOW, SIR! STOP TRYING TO SPEND MY MONEY!

So a couple days later I emailed Gemma again and clickty click, the deal was done.

My initial motivation was one necklace that callllllllllled to me and I didn't care about making my money back but shoot...the more I look through the Stella & Dot stuff, the more excited I am about earning MORE MORE MORE!

But even a kickass necklace couldn't make me force Tupperware parties on my friends.

Except then I realized that I've been invited to 100 Tupperware or similar parties so not everyone thinks they're as shameful as I seem to so I'm going to get over myself and actually try to do a "trunk show" or two. I'm not at all opposed to doing them, I just don't want to go looking for one to do. If they fall in my lap, then great.

So here's my finely tuned plan to increase the quality of my overall jewelry collection:

Step One: Stop calling them Tupperware parties. (Pending)

Step Two: Come out of the closet. (CHECK!)

Step Three: Passively say "Hey local internet! Want to host a Tupperwa...um...trunk show?" (CHECK!)

Step Four: Make enough money to keep myself well accessorized for eternity. (Pending)

We'll see how it goes. For now I'm just excited to get my hands on the bling. And since I haven't *actually* read the terms and conditions or the getting started guide yet, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this (my guess is no) but for the click-adverse, here's the necklace that started it all:

8 comments:

  1. HAHA! I love it =p. I'll host one for you =)....and I have a bunch of "Direct Sales" friends that will come. It's just gotta be after I'm done with school and after my trip to Mexico in early June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy shit those are some expensive beads (considering those steals I got from our girl Charlotte)! :) But it's just like those spendy vitamins I push - I do it for the discount, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh. I do not wear jewelry, but I traditionally buy my mom earrings for her birthday because she is SUPER picky about them and apparently I'm the only one who understands her requirements. I just clicked over and looked at the earrings and it looks like some of those might work. Of course, her birthday is in Feb, so I don't need any now, but if you post a reminder every once in a while, I would be happy to order from you. :) (I assume that you get the earnings from web orders too, not just the parties, since you seem to have personalized URLs, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ LB: You pick the date and YOU'RE ON! Thanks man!

    @ KM: Dude, I know. There are plenty of less expensive things but OF COURSE I love the most expensive ones. It's the way I roll.

    @ LV: You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. I saw Gemma's facebook update about convincing you to join the dark side and I was all ohhhh man IT'S ON NOW! ;-) I'm not one for the tupperware, or any hosted, sales party either. HOWEVER, because you are my longest standing friend, lemme know when your schedule of parties are set and if I can make one, I will. Can't promise I'll buy anything, but I'll at least browse and be good company. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh those are pretty I like the teal one a lot! I would volunteer to host a party but our apartment is the size of the back pocket on my jeans. But hey if anyone we know is hosting one let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sell Cookie Lee and it has been an awesome experience!

    I do it for the discount, too...but have actually been making money!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am browsing rings and earrings now. Will make a purchase on Friday.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive