Friday, July 9, 2010

Blah.

If I’m reading my Facebook friends’ status updates correctly, I am one of the few people ON THE PLANET who believes that the Oscar Grant shooting was an accident. I keep looking for editorials or articles or ANYTHING that calls out the bullshit, but I’m just not seeing it.

It was a mistake a police officer doesn’t get to make, but a mistake nonetheless.

A mistake he handled poorly, but still a mistake.

The list of things that make Oscar Grant a lowlife is a mile long but I think all that is beside the point. He was accidentally shot and he died. This is a tragedy for his family and I am sorry for them.

I will not protest the “RIP Oscar Grant” sentiment out there because somebody loved him.

He should not have died that night, but given Oscar Grant’s life choices, I don’t think he was going to be around long enough to see many more birthdays anyway.

I *do* have to take issue with all the “Justice for Oscar Grant” messages that are flying around, all of them wrapped up in accusations of racism.

I do not believe he was “executed” or killed because he was black.

I do not understand why he is being turned into a martyr.

I was pleased to see that what was expected to be a legendary riot turned into a primarily peaceful gathering, but I am nervous about how this will continue to unfold – particularly after his sentencing. I believe that those who took the opportunity to riot and loot last night were not upset at the perceived injustice, but were instead just assholes looking for a fight or a reason to break some glass and steal some sneakers and organic groceries.

My sympathies have been with Johannes Mehserle throughout this whole ordeal. What a horrible (and stupid) mistake he made…the day before his first child was born, even. I think he screwed up BIG TIME (the shooting itself, but also his panic and attempt to cover his ass), but I do not think he’s a murderer. I can’t even continue to read accounts of the incident or the recent news coverage because looking at pictures of Mehserle makes me want to cry.

I feel so bad for him and for his family.

Things I Want to Happen, However Naive and Farfetched They May Be:

1. For people to stop bringing race into every incident between white people and non-white people.

I DO NOT CARE WHAT COLOR YOUR SKIN IS. I’ll admit that I’ll judge you for your behavior, your breath, your manners, your fingernails, the wash of your jeans, your use of styrofoam coffee cups and your grammar. But the color of your skin? I DO NOT CARE.

2. For Johannes Mehserle to figure out how to put all this behind him.

Postscript:

I drafted this post earlier today but didn’t publish because of work and this and that and blah blah blah. I just Googled for updates on the whole thing and found that a handwritten letter from Mehserle to the public has been published.

Tell me you don’t think it was an accident, that he’s sorry and that he’ll live with the regret forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive