Monday, July 5, 2010

1-5

I was cleaning out my desk this morning and started going through the stack of concert and event ticket stubs I've collected over the years. I kept thinking "This is when I BLAH BLAH BLAH" or "This was the day So-and-So said BLAH BLAH BLAH" so I decided that I'd work my way through telling those stories here.

And by "stories" I mean "probably disjointed thoughts dislodged from my brain by looking at the ticket stubs."

Here are the first few, in no particular order.

August 10, 2002:



Joanie had moved to Portland for a while so we made plans for me to fly up and for her to take the train down to Seattle. We stayed at the Westin -- possibly using her dad's points for a free room? I don't remember, but I know that we did get complementary pretzels and beer because her dad had an ass load of Starwood points.

We spent the day shopping for Burning Man outfits on Capitol Hill and then had dinner at a sushi restaurant before heading over to the theater. We had no idea who Guster was (SO SORRY LIZZIE V!!!!) and I remember that we drank red wine in the lobby while we waited for John Mayer to start.

We drank A LOT of red wine and then all hell ended up breaking loose. I believe there was a cab ride to 7-11 later that night and when I got home to San Jose there was a GIANT LUMP with an impressive bruise on my back. We have our theories for how that happened, but when I think "Joanie and Elizabeth see John Mayer in Seattle" I think "It's a miracle we're not dead."

Labor Day-ish, 2007:



This was my last year at Burning Man. It was the year I sat around looking at all the high people and thinking that there were plenty of other places I'd rather be. There were moments of awesome, but not so many that I could look past the moments of SUCK. I remember sitting in my MaxxDaddy chair and surveying our camp, deciding what was going to be thrown directly into the dumpster when we got home and what I might want to keep.

November 10, 2007:




This was the first of two times I've seen Billy Joel in concert (and the BEST of the two!). It was a life list item for me so I bought the tickets months and months in advance and ended up bringing Joanie with me because she was one of the few of my friends who would go with joy in her heart and not just out of pity for me, her Billy Joel loving friend.

I remember that it was POURING rain that day, which you could probably tell from the state of the ticket stub.

I remember that we took the bus back to my apartment from BART and by the time we walked in my front door, we were DRENCHED.

I remember that Joanie suggested we take our pants off before walking on the carpet so our wet, bussy, BARTy, concerty jeans didn't drag along my carpet.

July 18, 2009:



I'm not a huge Kenny Chesney fan but I found cheap tickets so I asked my country loving friend Kathy to join me.

I made BFFs with the two girls next to us and we all added each other as Facebook friends right then and there but then I deleted them a few days later because they were far less awesome by the light of day.

I smuggled a flask of something-or-other into this concert by shoving it into my bra.

Country music fans are DRINKERS. What a bunch of drunk, hardly clothed, probably underage ladies! SHEESH!

December 14, 2000:



I'm 99% sure this was my first Sharks game and I only went because my employer at the time bought tickets for everyone. I remember we stood up to go to the concession stand mid-play and when we got to the bottom, an usher handed us a card telling us to stay seated during the action.

Oops.

I also remember this other chick I worked with didn't care about the hockey etiquette and started a shouting match with someone who told her to SIT DOWN.

And look! This was back when the Arena was actually still called the Arena!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive