Friday, January 8, 2010

More mushrooms for me, I guess!

Seriously Internet, we have a problem.

My secret-to-the-internet new boyyyyyyyyyfriend is game to eat almost anything EXCEPT three things I could not possibly live without:

mushrooms
blue cheese
coconut

WHAT THE HELL, INTERNET???

I was going through my recipe file the other day and realized that these are the EXACT ingredients that catch my eye. If he had added "caramelized onions" to his list I might have broken up with him right then and there.

So for the record, I would like to share the list of things that I don't like:

1. Cooked fruit. This has been a lifelong thing for me and while I may have come around on the no-meat-on-bones-(unless-I've-been-drinking) thing, I will nevereverevereverever be willing to eat, say, a berry pie. Unless there was money involved.

[Sidebar: A couple of 4ths of Julys ago Christa bet me $10 that I couldn't eat all the red onion left on the plate (probably like half to two-thirds of an onion) and I was like HELLS YEAH I CAN and I was good until all of a sudden I hit the onion wall and I felt like I was gonna barf so I spent the rest of the evening with an upset stomach and the worst onion mouth ever. Kudos to Carrie for not kicking me out of bed that night.]

2. Pine nuts. This whole post was inspired by this Serious Eats post about a phenomenon called pine mouth where the eater of the pine nuts gets a bitter or metallic taste in his/her mouth that lasts up to a few weeks. I can't say that the funk lasts more than an hour or so for me, but I for SURE get a gross taste in my mouth from pine nuts. I could never figure out why people seemed to love them SO MUCH when, for me, they overpower everything else on my plate but now I know it's an actual thing.

I should see if pine mouth sufferers qualify for disabled parking placards.

3. Mango. ALSO TOTALLY OVERPOWERING. I recently learned that I do actually like mangoes STRAIGHT, but put them in or on anything else and the mango is all I can taste. Unfortunately for me, I got some sort of rash around my mouth last summer and I couldn't figure out what had caused it until my friend Andrea mentioned that she had something similar going on but happily went about eating mango after mango after mango until she read that mangoes carry poison oak on their skin.

Awesome.

So I COULD just cut them out of their skins but I was kinda turned off by the whole experience.

4. Chipotle flavor, seasoning, peppers, etc. Or really mostly anything smoked, but chipotle especially.

Other than these four things, COUNT ME IN!

And btw, cilantro? DELICIOUS!

8 comments:

  1. oh boy - this is a funny one. I absolutely LOVE cilantro, mushrooms, coconut (Thai food - hello!!). I'm not a fan of blue cheese (too strong for me, even tho I love strong cheeses, and something about it being unapologetically blue MOLD and all, really turns me off). I LOVE Mangos to high heaven, but I also got a serious rash on my hands when I was in a mango-obsessed week (eating them daily) and also found out they are related to the poison oak family. It's just the oil in their skin tho, the fruit is fine.

    I do NOT like Chipotle flavors or anything smoked either!! I hate BBQ chips big time for example. I always thought it was cuz I grew up as a veggie and didn't eat as much of those flavors as most people.

    I also can't stand pine nuts. I blame this on my mom - she used to do WHACKO things (which you may or may not remember) like put sunflower seeds or pine nuts IN MY SANDWICH. GRRRRROOOOSSSSSS. I like sunflower seeds still, but I can't stand pine nuts. The only time I'll tolerate them is in a stuffed mushroom dish my dad makes (see above about loving mushrooms) where he kinda roasts/browns the pine nuts IN A BUNCH OF BUTTER first and then adds them to the stuffing. It's delish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. if I can marry a man from Texas who LOVES HIS MEAT, then I think you can see past your secret boyfriend's hangups on those three foods. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo to cilantro. Yay to bleu cheese. And berry pie is lovely if it is homemade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Bree I had visions of a Thai-food-free life ahead of me and I almost cried. I have since confirmed that he actually LOVES Thai food and that panang curry is his death row meal. It seems that coconut *milk* is the exception to the rule, but I think I'm gonna score all the straw mushrooms out of the tom ka gai.

    (And I am totally walking away from any comments about your husband's meat. ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear he loves Thai food, I wonder how he feels about those little bean sprouts they put on the Pad Thai though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, so does this mean none of my homemade plum jam for you (ala cooked fruit)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry Sara...I'm not a jam eater. I'll eat jelly or anything with a consistent texture, but the chunks that make jam people moan make me *groan*.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhh lawdy you best be staying away from the BBQ establishments when you are in Texas then. Smoked city. And OH.SO.GOOD.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive