Monday, January 4, 2010

2009 in Review

There are 75 things I want to blog about but first I'd like to do the 2009 wrap-up and officially declare my 2010 resolutions. ARE YOU READY?

2009

This year wasn't as bad for me as it seems to have been for a lot of people. Of course, spending the bulk of 2008 unemployed and sucking my savings account DRY meant that pretty much anything could happen in 2009 and it would still top 2008. So the bar was set pretty low and I spent a lot of time appreciating my paycheck more than my job, but all in all, the following exciting things happened:

1. I achieved 75% of my 2009 resolutions:

a. I lost 30 pounds.

This is really just a drop in the bucket but these 30 pounds are huge for me because I haven't been this "skinny" in YEARS, I went from morbid obesity to just regular obesity (YAY, OBESITY!), I magically look good in most pictures, and the best part -- all of a sudden the formerly unattainable weight loss goals are now attainable.

Driver's license weight?

ALL OF A SUDDEN WITHIN RANGE!

Buying non-plus size clothes?

ALL OF A SUDDEN WITHIN RANGE!

I ordered the largest size pants that Banana Republic offers JUST TO SEE and HOLY HELL I COULD BUTTON THEM. They didn't look good so I sent them back, but JIMMINY-WHAT?

b. I moved back to the 408.

I do miss my perfect-for-me little apartment and I do miss the beauty of San Francisco, but I do not miss the commute and I do not miss being AT LEAST an hour away from my family. Moving back was the right choice and while this transitional period isn't THE MOST AWESOME EVER (like, I can't wait to have my own dishwasher again so I can stop being involved in conversations about what does and does not go into it), it's also really not bad at all and I am very, very, very thankful that I'm as lucky as I am.

I do not expect to ever move back to San Francisco but I am so glad I had that experience. I would LOVE for my current renter to stay put for a couple of years and then I'd like to sell the apartment and buy a tiny little house somewhere in the greater San Jose area. This is tacky to tell you, but I WILL NOT MISS my $591.00 monthly HOA fees.

c. I made an effort to look friendlier.

My just-sitting-there face isn't attractive and my mouth is naturally down turned and I figured out that if I keep a foolish-feeling little smile on my face all the time, it really just looks like a neutral expression.

d. I did NOT read 15 books.

I read nine though!

2. I became an aunt!

Seriously you guys, I ADORE that baby. He is so wonderful and perfect and kissable and it melts my cold, cold heart when he tries to eat my face or falls asleep on me, all spread out like one of those sticky monkeys that you get out of 25-cent vending machines. He's pretty fantastic.

Bonus points for seeing my brothers interact with him. Triple bonus points for when Ben does his Grandma-from-Sixteen-Candles impression and tells him that "Frrred, he's gotten his boobies!"

3. I went to Barack Obama's Inauguration.

I had a greatgreatgreatgreatgreat time with friends AND got to see the first black man become President of the USA? It was cold and crowded and miserable, but also completely awesome.

4. I started working on completing the list of 100 Things to Try in San Francisco Before You Die.

This one is worthy of being included in this list?

YES.

That list has taken me to a number of places in San Francisco I never would have known about otherwise. It's more than the places themselves though, it's also about more fully experiencing San Francisco, which is the true value.

42 down, 58 to go!

5. I started running.

I achieved my goal of being able to run a mile back in 2008, but it was in 2009 that I really stepped it up and figured out that I could run longer distances. I'm never gonna be a marathon runner, but I am SO PROUD of myself that I'm able to run across the Golden Gate Bridge and back, for a total of 3.4 miles.

I also ran two 5k races and my goal over the next couple of years is to get to where I can run the Mercury News 10k, which always seemed COMPLETELY unattainable.

6. I went to my 15 year high school reunion.

AND had a way better time than I thought I ever ever ever would.

7. I fell in love.

What?

I did. I hate to drop this nugget and run and it's not a secret in my real life and I'd REALLY REALLY like to tell you all about it, but I'm going to keep my cards close to my chest for a while longer. I couldn't NOT include this in the list of awesome things about 2009 though.

2010

My 2010 resolutions:

1. Pay off that credit card.
2. Achieve my driver's license weight.
3. Read 12 books.

I am feeling the most confident about numbers 2 & 3, but I'd be THRILLED to achieve #1.

2010, my fingers are crossed for you!

3 comments:

  1. I love this post. I'm proud of you! Good things in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #7? Congrats! I'm the eternal romantic and hope to hear the story someday....

    ReplyDelete
  3. EH, I just adore you. And I thought you might wanna know ... you inspire me! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive