Monday, November 16, 2009

Things

1. I'm disappointed to report that the pomegranate pulled pork wasn't delicious at all and now I have to eat three pounds of it anyway. I added some brown sugar to cut the sharp and kinda bitter spiciness of the sauce so I'll survive and all, but I'm disappointed that I don't "get" to eat pulled pork this week...I have to.

2. I am pleased to report that I hit my goal of running Saturday's Mermaid 5k in less than 45 minutes. 43:15, to be exact! So that's great, but I still only came in 154th out of 201 5k'ers, which isn't that great -- especially considering I was passed by some run/walkers.

I'm interested to see if I can beat that time when I run the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving, but I'm not holding my breath because that's a much bigger race with a really frustrating bottleneck toward the end and I will probably be trapped behind 100 babies in strollers. I'll shoot to beat last year's time though -- 52:11. Ooooh, except there's a new course this year! Hopefully we'll stay off the Guadalupe trail and I'll be able to KICK SOME ASS.

3. I am also pleased to report that I am the new owner of a brand new refrigerator and that my delivery window was very conveniently right smack dab after my race so I crossed the finish line and beelined to my car so I could sit in the lobby and patiently wait for the appliance magic to happen:































4. I think I've already posted about the string of bad luck I've been having with recipes (the pork was just the most recent flub) but they haven't allllllll been bad. For example, I made these to take to a wine and appetizer party at Ali's house on Saturday:




They didn't quite turn out as pretty as the sample and I almost didn't bring them because they looked pretty sad on the plate, but I'm glad I did because they were a hit. But seriously, they're fat with fat and a side of fat so what's not to love about them?


5. The only other item of interest for today is that Walkera and I were supposed to go see our boyfriends Billy Joel and Elton John tomorrow night but they postponed the show. DAMN THESE OLD PEOPLE AND THEIR INABILITY TO JUST SUCK IT UP!
E.coli, schme.coli.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, sorry about the slow-cooker bad luck. The last two things I've made in mine have been deeeeelish, including chicken with mushroom sauce that was so good I'm actually sitting here with a big bowl of peas smothered in the leftover sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents were supposed to go to that concert too and (sorry) I am so relieved it was postponed. I was the one who had to baby-sit my 91-year-old grandfather while they went to the concert. I know it's selfish, but really, my hands are full enough with a 2-year-old and a 6-year-old. How can I handle a 91-year-old too?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive