Monday, November 23, 2009

Mrs. Sean

Okay so Walkera and I FINALLY made it to Mission Street Food, a showcase type thing for up and coming chefs. They hold it twice a week in a Chinese dive in the Mission and proceeds go to charity, blah blah blah. Saturday night was an international twist on the standard American Thanksgiving dinner so Walkera and I enjoyed the following:

French Onion French Dip: turkey confit, duck fat-onions and gruyere fondue on acme roll, served with turkey jus

Turkish Turkey: smoked, fried and za'atar dusted wings, served with tzatziki and salad of pear, celery, feta, and cranberry

Dirty South Stuffing: cornbread, collards, ham hocks, giblets

Mashed Potato with Beef Mole

Sake-Mirin Creamed Corn

Szechuan Green Bean Casserole

Lung Shan's Vegan Delight: shitake and oyster mushroom dumplings in miso soup


Six of our seven courses:



And for dessert we had bourbon & corn flake ice cream (breakfast flavor) and a delicious little baby pumpkin pie with orange flavored cream, which has inspired me to try adding a teeny bit of orange blossom water to my whipped cream for Thanksgiving.

It was all really good and we definitely plan to return and would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind eating from the same plates as your dining companions or sharing tables with strangers. Plus, $5 corkage, we love you.

So all that is fine and good and we'd do it again but it was made even better because OMG WE HAD AWESOME TABLE COMPANIONS! One in particular, but I'll get to him in a minute...

We were seated with two SF hippie types in knitted hat-type-things. We thought they were a couple but they mentioned working together and she mentioned being married but he mentioned being polyamorous so really, all bets were off. He was VERY tall and kinda cute in a looks-like-he-lives-Burning-Man-style-365-days-a-year kind of way (i.e., NOT my flavor) and he told us that they didn't order everything on the tasting menu (like we did, oink) because the last time he did that, his date dumped him at the table so he thought it was bad luck. I'm pretty sure Walkera wouldn't dump me over creamed corn and green bean casserole so I wasn't worried about this bad juju.

He also said that The Slanted Door (a fancy Vietnamese-ish restaurant) was bad luck because he'd been dumped there and he'd also dumped someone there. Noted. Except really dude? How are we defining these "break ups"? When he went to pay the bill I asked his married lady friend if she thought he thought a break up was necessary after maybe only a few dates because otherwise? That's a lot of girlfriends! I don't remember her exact answer but I do remember thinking that he seemed overly eager to think things needed "breaking up" when perhaps a mutual fizzle would be more appropriate and less dramatic.

So they left and a handsome young man came to wipe down their half of the table and we joked with him that if he didn't mind, I'd like to put in a request for our next table mates to be two single, handsome, straight and tall men. He laughed and just then the hostess came by and he told her that we had a request. She gave it some thought and then 60 seconds later she brought us almost exactly what we ordered -- two handsome, straight and tall men.

We laughed and said "PERFECT!" The gentleman we'd later ADORE walked up, saw me and Walkera and said "PERFECT!" The hostess looked pleased with herself.

So there we were, smushed around a tiny table with two handsome men. Jamie was probably the more traditionally handsome one and he was roommates with one of the waitresses so he was a Mission Street Food regular and definitely seemed to be popular with the staff in general. Jamie was also a cocky shit.

But Sean....ohhhhhhhhhhhh Seaaaaaaaan. He isn't AT ALL my type or Walkera's type but holy hell -- he turned us into giddy school girls and we spent the whole ride home discussing exactly what it was about him that made us melt.

(Note to Walkera: He had a bite of our ice cream when you were in the bathroom. I think that means we're engaged now, FYI.)

Gentlemen, here's a tip:

Sure, Sean was very tall and plenty handsome in an all-American, wholesome blond guy kind of way, but when Walkera or I spoke, it's like the whole world turned off for him and all he heard was the sound of our voices.

As in, he paid attention. But with intensity.

And hooooooooooo boy...all of a sudden Walkera and I had the hots for a blond man.

UNPRECEDENTED!

A blond man fresh out of a breakup and who lives in Washington DC, but a blond man nonetheless.

At some point I got up to use the ladies room and the hostess grabbed me on my way to tell me that "OMG IT WAS MOSTLY AN ACCIDENT THAT I WAS ABLE TO SEAT THEM THERE, BUT HOW PERFECT, RIGHT?"

"DUDE, FOR SURE!"

"Jamie has a girlfriend but he's SUCH A GREAT GUY!"

"Ehhh, Jamie is certainly handsome but WE LOVE THE OTHER ONE!"

And we laughed about it all again.

And then when Walkera and I went to the cashier to pay we stood there for a few minutes rehashing it all with the cashier (who also thinks Jamie is AWESOME) and the hostess.

This was pretty much the conversation on the drive home:

I love Sean.

Me too.

Jamie was handsome, but dude, talk about cocky.

I know.

He wasn't even nearly as awesome as Sean.

I know...too bad he lives in DC.

I love how focused he was on me when we were talking.

Totallllly. Me too. He was way more awesome than Jamie.

Why did everyone there love Jamie SO MUCH?

Dude, I don't know, but I love Sean.

Me too.


Rinse and repeat.

In Summary:

Walkera and I both want to be Mrs. Sean.

Mission Street Food is tasty and surprisingly interactive.

2 comments:

  1. ooooh weeee...great recap and fun night!!
    So he had a taster of our icecream eh? See how comfortable he was with us!! It was meant to be ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The above comment is from Me (Jess)...not sure why it put some crazy number configuration

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive