Monday, June 27, 2011

I am a hot chicken who can't sleep.

1. I haven’t had a successful Weight Watcher day in like ELEVEN DAYS and now I’m scared to go to WW on Saturday and find out that I’ve gained 10,000 pounds. I’ve been shoveling the food into my mouth like I just got voted off Survivor and what’s annoying about it is that some of it is for sure out of boredom and some of it is just because of the crazy in my head, but there have been a few days when I’ve just been FLAT OUT HUNGRY and no matter how much I shoveled in, I was hungry 20 minutes later.

2. The last few weekends I’ve noticed that I tend to spend a significant amount of time just sorta waiting for time to pass until there’s something else to do. I’ve even caught myself looking forward to Monday so I have somewhere to go. This all seemed really sad and wasteful until I realized that OH! Normally I’d be filling this idle time with television! But since I don’t have a TV right now, I have a lot of downtime.

Sure, I *could* be writing or reading or exercising or doing any number of productive things, but instead I end up playing game after game after game of Bookworm on my phone or watching Netflix movies (I used to keep DVDs for WEEKS AND WEEKS AND WEEKS at a time and now I find myself tap tap tapping my fingers, waiting for a new DVD to arrive) or admiring the vacuum cleaner lines in the carpet.

3. I think part of the problem feeding (ha!) numbers one and two above is that I’m having trouble sleeping. I’m used to passing the hell out as soon as my head hit the pillow and then not stirring again until the alarm goes off the next morning. The issues I think I’m having here are:

a. I am a sleep-with-the-windows-open kind of person. I just flat out can’t do that in my current home because A) I live on a very busy street…and not just busy in terms of traffic (which I was usually able to sleep right through when I lived in San Francisco and I had ear plugs if I knew I was going to want to sleep in)…but “very busy” meaning “drunk people, fighting people, crazy people, etc. frequently walk by and/or SIT THEIR ASSES ON MY STOOP, which is right under my bedroom window, and conduct their drunk/fighting/crazy business” and B) I’m on the second floor and the master bedroom only has sliding glass doors so I’m very chicken shitty about sleeping with the door open because it seems like an invitation for someone to climb in and strangle me in my sleep. The end result is that I am hot when I sleep and am therefore restless.

b. My bedroom gets morning sun. The shades are thin. The sun comes up really early this time of year. I keep waking up IN A PANIC because I think I’m late, only to look at the clock and realize that my alarm isn’t even due to go off for another hour or more.

Solutions Being Enabled as of Last Night:

• Turning on the air conditioning while I sleep. This seems wasteful and I’m afraid to get the PG&E bill, but dude…I HAVE TO get some sleep.

• I was all out of ear plugs so I bought some more. I am still somewhat worried about not being able to hear a killer breaking in, but I think maybe I’ll be able to get over that. (My SF apartment was tiny enough that I could see almost my entire territory at once…this place is three times as big and all kinds of hiding spots for killers…a girl has to use all her senses to supervise such a large home.)

• I bought an EYE MASK! The first night I wore it I woke up with it in my hair, but last night worked pretty well.

Fun Eye Mask Note: Lauren and I were at CVS post-Dailey Method the other day and we couldn’t find the eye masks, but we did find eye patches. I considered just buying two eye patches, but she was all rocket science’y and suggested I look in the beauty department…and viola, eye masks!

So that’s my exciting update for today.

5 comments:

  1. I know ceiling fans are probably shunned upon by West Coasters, but I MUST HAVE ONE ON when I'm sleeping, even if it's cold. I guess it's the circulation of air that I like the most. I know you don't want to go installing a ceiling fan where you currently live, but maybe a small fan might help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you thought about moving your bed into your spare bedroom? Then you aren't above the stoop and I'm guessing there's a window there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh geeez. I've been dealing with these exact same sleeping issues in the new house. I'm super cranky because I only got five hours of sleep last night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jon cancelled our cable a whole MONTH before we are set to move out so I have had the same issue with feeling like there is NOTHING to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a sleeping mask from The Sharper Image, and it is the shit. For reals.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive