Tuesday, May 17, 2011

MISSING: My Focus

So, it turns out that this "not having a TV" business has been CRAZY productive, just not in the "writing things" kind of way. My home is squeaky clean, my laundry basket is empty, my social calendar is full, but my blog remains empty. And if my blog (the easy to write part) remains empty, just imagine what my book (the hard to write part) looks like!

I committed to my friend Jenn that I'd have the outline done by the end of May. This was back in the very beginning of May and I SCOFFED at this lame end-of-May deadline because I was going to write every day! I was going to knock the outline out in a weekend! And when I checked in with her at the end of May I'd not only have my outline finished, but I'd have 25,000 words written!

BOOYAH!

But then none of that happened.

I found that I couldn't, in good conscience, sit at my pretty little desk in my pretty little chair and open up my computer to write without first taking care of some very important iTunes-related maintenance. But then I couldn't fully cross "Fix iTunes" off my list (it had been there for months) until I'd downloaded every podcast I'd missed since my iTunes broke, but I couldn't do that until I upgraded my internet speed, but I couldn't do that until a business day, and I couldn't do that until I remembered to call the lady, so instead I'll just go find something else to do.

So far "something else" has consisted of:

* Ironing
* Drinking lots of spinach smoothies
* Watching Dexter on DVD, but only during the daylight so I don't get too freaked out
* Walking around my new neighborhood
* Visiting many of the bars in my new neighborhood
* Learning that I actually *do* like gelato, even if the gelato place smells like the Chinese food the gelato guy had for lunch
* Walking through my old college campus
* Reorganizing my jewelry

My focus has NOT been good.

One day when my focus returns I'd like to write about:

* My trip to New England with my homies Kari and Eric
* How excited I am that my cousin Farah is living in the area for the next two months because she's in a musical that you should all go see
* How serious my darling niece is
* How hilarious my darling nephew is
* How I had the best pedicure of my life on Saturday, administered by a lady who told me about her three husbands, her old hot dog cart business and about a dating site for bikers and the ladies who love them
* My boss's bachelorette party

But until then, I'm going to go write boring work stuff about a work thing.

2 comments:

  1. So I REALLY need to plan a trip to San Fran for work and I'm HOPING it will happen before July. If I make it in time, I totally want to see your cousin-from-the-amazing-Saturday-Night-Fever-musical. I any musical with Bee Gee's music is right up my alley.

    I'm guessing this show doesn't have Bee Gee's music though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't speak for the Bee Gees-related musical content, but I've seen one of Farah's shows in NYC and it was fantastic. I don't think she picks snoozers.

    But DUDE! If you come to SF please let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive