Friday, September 17, 2010

Casa de SIL!

Ben and Sarah bought a new house! They closed on it last night so we all went over to check out the new digs.

It a GREAT house and it's PERFECT for them but man, oh man...the previous owner was confused about home decor.

As you saw from my multiple POTD posts, there are mirrors everywhere. Every time I turned a corner I was like OMG ANOTHER ONE! POSE!

There's another big one in the hall bathroom but I didn't POTD it because I thought the rest of the bathroom would be too distracting. (Really the mirror was just unflattering.) It's like it was remodeled in the 70's, the 90's and last year...but all at the same time. The sexy modern lighting is a fun contrast to the seashell-ish sink and the brown and green pottery-ish shower tiles.

The lighting in the house is all just generally odd. There's at least one instance where it looks like they decided they wanted a fluorescent fixture but instead of removing the old chandelier, they just took the bulbs out of the chandelier and parked the fluorescent fixture alongside it.

The faux finishes are also impressive:





That's the dining room, but similar speckled walls can also be found elsewhere.

I enjoy the contrast of the speckles and the light switches:



Here's my mom, showcasing the very centered and we're-sure-useful-to-someone wall hook. She's blocking the light switch (a wooden one this time), which is a shame because it's a solid three inches to the left of the hook so I think that whoever put the hook up just didn't give a damn:



The yard is filled with fruit trees, which you'd think was exactly perfect for my vegetarian SIL who loves all things fresh and organic, except that it's almost like the old lady who lived there before went out of her way to plant the four fruits Sarah doesn't like: Figs, pomegranates, apricots and grapefruits.

All such random choices, no?

There are lemon and lime trees too and I'm excited because that means I'll never have to pay 50 cents for another lime EVER!

If anyone local wants some figs, I'm sure she'd be happy to give them to you so the dogs don't eat them:



I'm also excited about the BOUNTY of FREE pomegranates I'll be enjoying in a month or two!!



So as kooky as the previous owner's decorative choices are, it's a great house and I'm really excited for them to make it their home. My brother primered over the speckles last night and the painters are coming and the laminate floors are being ripped up and the hardwood underneath will be refinished.

But ooooh -- those laminate floors? Horrible for all the normal laminate floors reasons, but also because the old lady who lived there before? Slept on a WATER BED (my imagination runs wild with that one) under which there's a bed-sized hole where they did not bother extending the flooring, as seen in one of last night's pictures:



The next time I see it, it'll be a whole new house!

2 comments:

  1. hey I know a great building designer Ben can get on the cheap if he needs help with any remodeling projects. ;-)

    you'll have to message me privately on where the new casa is located! I wonder if it's near our old house? Zane is buying our old house from us - it would be hilarious if those two ended up living near each other/neighbors.

    I wouldn't mind a pomegranate or two! And, my mom would totally take some figs off their hands. Definitely should watch out for the dogs/fig trees tho - our friends have a bountiful fig tree in their backyard that their dogs eat off of constantly.... and have several messes to clean up after because of it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all over those figs if there are extra's....and if they keep the apricot tree I would be happy to harvest it next summer and make delicios apricot things (Jam!).....I don't

    That's some crazy decor!I'm afraid that eventually my Mom's house is going to end up a kitchy confused decorating mess as well....I keep trying to moderate and she keeps telling me to stay out of it =p.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive