Monday, April 12, 2010

Sporty McSportyson

1. First, OMG my knees hurt. They don't hurt at all WHILE I'm running, but they hurt for like the 23 1/4 hours a day I am not running. Maybe I should just run everywhere I go. Like Pittsburgh's Running Lady.

And that's enough of the whining.

2. In exact opposite news, I just entered myself into the lottery for a spot in the Nike Women's Half Marathon.

No, I don't know what I was thinking.

3. On Thursday afternoon I got a text from Leslie asking me if I wanted to be her last minute date for the Sharks game. My knee-jerk reaction was to say no because I had very important nail painting and TV watching to do but then I rolled my eyes at myself and had a little chat with myself where I reminded myself that I AM NOT 100 YEARS OLD. So I went and I'm so glad I did!

I met Leslie at the Campbell light rail station (which, if you know how close I live to the Arena, sounds kinda stupid, but parking/rides/whatever seemed like too much effort so I drove out of my way to take public transportation) and la de da de da, we got on the light rail, sat down and OH CRAP SANDWICH I came face to face with (and this is embarrassing, I know) the TGI Friday's bartender I used to flirt with ALL THE TIME.

Back before my friend Daina got married and had a baby (who is now a little boy), we used to rock and roll the TGI Friday's happy hour because it was close to work and because I had the hots for the bartender.

YES, I was a regular at TGI Friday's.

I KNOW.

I did eventually get over my adoration of the TGI Friday's bartender (which conveniently coincided with Daina and I both switching job locations and no longer being available for happy hours in Cupertino) but he did come to Santa with us one year so I happen to have a photo to share:



The girl on the left was his girlfriend who he claimed to have broken up with. But brought to Santa anyway? Who knows. Whatever.

So blah blah blah, there I was, essentially face to face with 2004 and for whatever reason, I chose not to acknowledge that I knew him so we played the pretending-I-don't-recognize-you-even-though-I-do game for the rest of our ride and POOF, he was gone.

Adios, Bartender Matt!

The game was a fun way to spend an evening and I'm really glad Leslie offered me her spare ticket and that I ditched my nail painting and TV watching.

4. Team Idaho, aka my friends Kristy and Jason, came into town on Saturday night and I drove up to SF to crash their hotel room and take them to a few of San Francisco's finest eating and drinking establishments. They wanted to run the GGB with me the next day so we had to be on our best no-hangover behavior though so we took it easy and unfortunately, taking it easy meant the couple of drinks we did have just made us sleepy and by the end of the night I was sitting at Bourbon & Branch wishing for toothpicks to keep my eyes open.

But first! We went to Coco500 to cross the deep fried green beans off the list of 100 Things to Try in SF Before You Die (verdict: FANTASTIC) and made friends with a gentleman wearing a bug-printed bow tie and a shirt that looked like graph paper. He said he was a scientist (thus the bugs and the graph paper), that he has been married to his wife for 43 years, they're visiting from Cincinatti, he has run 54 marathons and that he's always the largest (he wasn't petite at all), oldest and slowest in all of his races.

This, of course, begged the question: How slow is slow?

But I guess it's considered tacky to ask a marathonner what his race time is and all he'd say was that his goal was to be "home for dinner."

Team HoJo (as in Ida and San) is supportive of this strategy. We want "Home for Dinner" t-shirts.

Team HoJo at Coco500 REPRESENT:



After cocks and apps at Coco500 and dinner at Limon and nightcaps at Bourbon & Branch, we fell fast asleep. Our mellow evening served us well though because we were all able to get up and at 'em the next morning.

Bridge run, YAY!

Except BOOOOOOOOOOOOO because the bridge was part of the course for a half marathon and they actually closed it to non-participants.

On the other hand:

* We accidentally saw my friend Joel actually running in the race! It was a happy accident because it kinda makes up for that one time Carrie and I were supposed to be cheering him on when he ran (actually ran) Bay to Breakers but our over-served asses took too long to get down to the race course and we missed him.

* It started pouring almost as soon as we realized we weren't going to be able to get onto the bridge.

* We did the opposite of running by having brunch (with biscuits!) at Ella's.

So it all worked out.

1 comment:

Blog Archive