Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Nutella Baklava

So remember how the last blog got a gang of WEIRD searches for random things? Well this blog gets most of its search traffic from the picture I posted of Cooking Light's Nutella baklava. In fact, I just Googled it myself and was surprised to see this blog come up on the first page of search results!

Therefore, it is my duty to report to all Nutella baklava searchers that I made the Nutella baklava last week and that it was really not delicious. It was dry and excessively cinnamon'y and I ate one test piece and THREW THE REST AWAY. It hurt my heart to throw like $20 worth of ingredients into the trash, but it just was not the delicious treat I thought it would be.

Incidentally, I went looking for the actual recipe so I could be useful and link the searchers to it, but it's not on the recipe site that all the other Cooking Light recipes are on so I think you're S.O.L. I can't even just type the recipe out for you because the recycling has been taken out since then.

Sorry about that, Nutella baklava searchers.

The gist, if you're interested:

6 sheets of filo dough layered with melted butter
1/3 cup of melted Nutella drizzled on top of that
1/3 of the nut mixture sprinkled on top of that (1/2 cup hazlenuts, 1/2 cup almonds, 1/3 cup pistachios and 1/3 cup walnuts tossed with a teaspoon of cinnamon)

Repeat two more times, ending with six sheets of filo dough and butter.

Cut into squares and bake at like 350 for I think 25 minutes, or until the filo dough is light brown and crispy.

Meanwhile, boil 3/4 cup of honey, a cinnamon stick and some water (I can't remember how much though -- a tablespoon? 1/2 a cup? No idea) undisturbed until it reaches 250 degrees on a candy thermometer, then remove the cinnamon stick and pour the warm honey mixture over the filo/nut/nutella stuff when it comes out of the oven and cool on a wire rack.

Store at room temperature.

AND OH MY GOD I AM AMAZED AT HOW MUCH OF THIS I REMEMBER!

I'd advise:

* No cinnamon in the nut mixture
* Adding more water or more honey to the honey mixture because there wasn't enough of it

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive