Friday, October 2, 2009

You may now reboost your computers.

NUMBER ONE: HOW IN THE HELL IS IT OCTOBER ALREADY?

2. My nephew is just the most wonderful thing ever and I love him so much that I'm willing to post a video featuring my squeaky talking-to-a-baby-or-to-the-dog voice:



Baby looks SO MUCH like my brother, which is kind of a trip considering my brother is a red-headed white boy and we really didn't think his DNA stood a chance against L's dark, Filapina genes but sure enough -- he looks like my brother as a baby (with hair that shines reddish in the sun, even!) but with a touch of Asian.

2a. My friend Bree and I were discussing that now that I'm keeping certain peoples' actual names on the down-low from the stalkers, I need to come up with a better naming convention than just initials because that is SO ANNOYING to read. I haven't thought of anything yet though so Bree, I apologize for the "L" in the above paragraph!

2b. Sidebar: I've known Bree since Kindergarten. Her parents still live five houses down from mine. We went to rival high schools. We had Ethiopian food for lunch when she was in grad school in DC and I was passing through on one of my solo road trip adventures. Her mom used to give us American cheese which I thought was THE BEST THING EVER because my mom only ever bought cheddar.

Back to my nephew for one quick minute: So my brothers and I all look very much alike and I swear, I was looking at this video and I could see ME as a baby.

But slightly Asian.

And then the other day I was admiring the chunks of fat that are forming above his knees and I realized that awwwwwwl, that's something else we have in common!

3. In other news, I went "geocaching" last night. The quotes are because unless "geocaching" means "walking around in the wilderness and getting chunks of tree in your hair and wondering if, oh shit, was that poison oak? WHAT IS MAKING THAT RUSTLING SOUND?" then we didn't ACTUALLY "geocache." If we'd actually found something, it would have been a different story, but we didn't. And really, when I say "we" I mean "pretty much just David" because I was in Converse and was carrying a bottle of lime essence sparkling water and it took me about five minutes to be OVER IT and when he was like "Come on, it's only a quarter mile further straight up the face of this MOUNTAIN, want me to carry your water?" I was like "NO SIR, I WILL SIT HERE ON THIS MOSSY LOG AND WAIT WHILE YOU GO FIND YOUR BURIED TREASURE."

So I did.

I plopped it down and observed nature for like half an hour.

I kept reaching for my phone so I could mo-blog the experience and/or keep Facebook updated as to my wildernessy evening but my phone had the GPS coordinates so I gave it to the mountain man which means that OMG I WAS IN THE WILDERNESS WITHOUT A WAY TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE OUTSIDE WORLD.

It was like Survivor: Rancho San Antonio Park.

So instead of internetting about it, I sat there on that log and thought about why I was all of a sudden NOT WILLING to climb up this mountain when NORMALLY I'd be all "I might kill myself in the process, but I'm going to prove that I can do it!" I'm still not sure why but I stopped beating myself up about it when David came stumbling out of the bushes and needed to take a moment to recover.

In summary, it was my third or fourth attempt at geocaching and I've still never found one. I think this means that maybe I'm not geeky enough for the sport.

4. Tonight's Agenda:

I am going to an F-Secure reunion. F-Secure was the first company I worked for out of college and it was straight up Melrose Place in that joint (I think that's what happens when you mix the dot-com boom and a bunch of cocky sales people with company-sponsored happy hours and "Happy First Day at F-Secure" shots of diesel) but some of my closest friends came out of that experience and, for the most part, I have fond memories.

I was going to share a picture of me from that era but oh maaaaaaaaaan, they're bad. SO bad that I can't bring myself to do it.

The title of this post, btw, is a shout out to my F-Secure homies.

2 comments:

  1. you know what's funny? I stick mainly to cheddar now as an adult. :)

    Also, I have a kickass Ethiopian place I love here, if you ever wanna go out to dinner sometime!

    Jon and I hid a geocache while on our honeymoon in Ireland. We wanted it to go around the world before coming back to us but one guy literally found it and returned it to SJC in a single trip. BOOOORING. So you know what we did? We never went to pick it up. *sigh* Terrible of us, I know. I just don't think we ever really got into it. And, I guess what I'm saying is, I don't blame you at all for not climbing up the face of that mountain with David.

    Baby nephew is adorable and GROWING SO BIG SO FAST!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I want to eat Ethiopian food with you! And brunch too! ALL the meals, why not?

    And my friend in Maryland made a TravelBug named San Jose and dressed him up in a tiny little poncho and a tiny little hat and sent him on his way to me and he did eventually make it but FRICK AND FRACK I couldn't find the damn cache. He has since moved on and was last seen three years ago. Pobre San Jose.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive