Monday, October 5, 2009

Cinnamon

I would like to apologize to cinnamon for being a hater for all these years.

I was wrong. Cinnamon is actually pretty good, once you get it away from that disgusting mess people like to call "apple pie."

Particularly:

A. In Mexican brownies, which I made for the fireworks extravaganza I went to on Saturday night. They're pretty awesome, which is saying something because this was the first time I've ever made brownies from scratch. PLUS, despite the four eggs, two cups of sugar and whole cup of butter, they're only five Weight Watcher points each (if you cut them small enough) so last night, in lieu of dinner, I had a warmed up brownie topped with a four-point baby thing of coffee ice cream and a few slivered almonds and OH MY.

I think I might need to have brownies and ice cream for dinner every night this week.

B. In Mexican chocolate ice cream at Mitchell's. That list of 100 things to try in SF was wrong about the baby coconut ice cream...the Mexican chocolate is the way to go.

C. In coffee. I was watching an episode of the 10 Dollar Dinners (of The Next Food Network Star fame) and she suggested adding a pinch of cinnamon to coffee to special it up and, inspired by my new found enjoyment of cinnamon in brownies and ice cream, I gave it a shot this morning.

My official review: Even though I forgot about the ol' French press and left it brewing for close to 20 minutes (oops!) while I beautified, the cinnamon made it delicious.

In summary:

I like cinnamon now.

2 comments:

  1. yay!! I'm a HUGE cinnamon fan. Pretty much anything tastes better with cinnamon (if you don't feel like coffee or hot chocolate, try warming up a big cup of milk and add some cinnamon and a little sugar - delicious!!). I also am a huge fan of horchata - which is basically a Mexican rice milk drink PLUS CINNAMON. yeah. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. It also depends on what cinnamon you buy. The cheap stuff will always be meh. For years, I have bought the Pampered Chef Cinnamon Plus (Korintje cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ground orange peel, cloves and ginger), and it's so much better than just regular cinnamon. BTW, I was not paid by Pampered Chef to say this!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive