Thursday, April 28, 2011

I almost showed the CEO my underwear

I donated blood yesterday. Later that evening there was a reception for my firm's new CEO. This was a stand-up-and-listen-to-people-talk-for-an-hour-and-a-half type event so all the ladies were shifting uncomfortably in their heels the entire time.

About an hour into this thing there was a thud and an "OH!" and a lot of silent shuffling around in the back (while the CEO continued to speak) and it was apparent that someone had fainted. I didn't see who it was, but I could see that it was a lady in heels and I thought that DUDE, SOMEONE WENT OUT OF HER WAY TO AVOID STANDING UP LIKE THE REST OF US.

But the evening continued and the Q&A wore on and I started to feel sorta wavery and I realized that I was concentrating very hard on standing up. Suck it up, Elizabeth. This thing is supposed to be over at 7 and it's 6:45. HANG IN THERE.

Then my boss, who knew I'd donated blood earlier in the day, caught my eye and asked me if I was okay. I said yes, just that I was hungry.

When it was finally over she was like "DUDE. You look better now but I looked over at you a few minutes ago and you were the WRONG color."

I like to think that I am STRONG and IN CHARGE but I forget that sometimes your body is gonna do what your body is gonna do. Next time I donate blood three hours before standing in heels for an hour and a half I'll remember to wear pants because I might not be so lucky the next time and I'd hate for all my colleagues to know what color underwears I have on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive