Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Billy, Elton & Baby

It's waaaaaaay past my bedtime but I've just arrived home from that Billy/Elton concert and my ears are still ringing so I'm going to take a moment and report the following:

1. I saw a lady I used to work with in the bathroom at the Arena but she entered her stall just as I was realizing that I knew her so my "OMG I KNOW YOU!" fell on deaf ears and I'm not really sure how this happened, but all of a sudden I was knocking on her stall door going "OMG I KNOW YOU! KATHI, RIGHT?! WHAT'S YOUR LAST NAME?!" and it was sooooooo weird but, I suppose, soooooooo me.

And I wasn't even drunk.

She's a kick in the pants from my PG&E days and even though I'm sure this was the first mid-stall hug she's ever given, she was a trooper.

And to clarify, I totally knew her first name but she's one of those people I NEEEEEEED to call by first and last name and I WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO REST if she had not reminded me of her last name.

2. There was a lady ROCKING OUT to Elton and Billy down below us. She TOTALLY looked like she'd juuuuuust escaped her cubicle for the night and that first thing in the morning, she'd be right back at 'em, tackling her TPS reports but this was her night to let loose!

She was QUITE THE DANCER. In her striped shirt and slacks and sensible haircut. Really -- QUITE THE DANCER. She was awesome. Walkera and I couldn't take our eyes off of her. She had her some MOVES!

And really, I'm not even being a smart ass. She was a really good dancer. Gogo dancer, actually. Except in her JC Penney cubicle ensemble.

3. While I was still waiting for Walkera to come over so we could go to the concert, I took Baby over to visit the lady across the street. She was old when I was a kid so I think she's in her 90's by now and she's known to enjoy her evening cocktails out on the porch. When I asked if I could take him over there my (other) brother was like "DO NOT LET HER HOLD HIM!" and I was like dude, duh, like I'm gonna give my precious baby nephew to ANYONE ELSE to hold much less the drunk 90-year-old?? Pscha.

So we go over there and she's oggling his adorableness and he's just STARING at her, probably wondering how we went from Grandma's house to BADA BING, visiting the drunk old lady across the street, but he held onto me and all was okay. She was telling him how lucky he is to belong to my family and how lucky he is to have so many people who love him so much and then telling me how I made her whole week by bringing him by and la de da and THEN she goes "And don't forget Baby...I'm the richest lady on this street!"

And it's true...she *is* the richest lady on the street and her family has a whole street named after them and all, but I'll tell you -- I didn't know what to say about that so I squeaked "BLESS YOU!" into Baby's ear to make him laugh (who knows why...but "BLESS YOU!" in a mouse voice gets him smile every time) and then took him home.

4. But back to Billy and Elton:

* They started out with some duets, then like an hour of Elton followed by an hour of Billy and then more duets. Read: It was LONG. We left after like the third encore because we are old have we have things to do tomorrow. If we were OLDER, like the retirees in the audience, this would not have been an issue.

* I have difficulty buying Elton John singing Uptown Girl. Really Elton?

* We noticed that Elton's band was all 60-ish and not at all sweaty (even the one wearing a satin shirt, which you'd think would show everything! On a drummer!) but that Billy's band was all in their mid to late 40's and they were allllll sweaty beasts. There's nothing WRONG with that or anything -- I like to see my musicians break a sweat, but it was just odd that the old guys in satin looked totally cool and comfortable.

And on that note, my dear Internet, I am going to bed.

1 comment:

  1. Satin and no sweat?! How odd.
    Ooh and who is this old lady with the street named after her fam? Winchester? Branham?...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive