Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pretending to be a hippie for 10 days

Alright, well...I'm juicing.

It's only been half a day, but so far, so good.

That long list of produce only cost me $54, so that wasn't too bad. I'll note though that 90% of it cost me $44 at the pack-your-own-stuff discount grocery store that my coworker sorta correctly called "The Used Food Store" but I had to go to Safeway for a honeydew and two bulbs of fennel and that tiny purchase alone was $10. I was impressed with their selection and flattered that the fetus-aged cashier thought he knew me from junior high.

So $54 for two days is manageable.

And look how pretty it all was when I unpacked it and made a display:



Early Observations:

1. I'm finding that the recipes I'm following are yielding much more juice than I expected. That's lovely and all, but I had trouble figuring out how I was going to transport it all to work. I bought a big jug, but it turned out that I needed a big jug (for two servings' worth of a fruitier juice), my big Sigg bottle for one serving's worth of a savory juice, and then was left without anything to store my morning juice in but I poured out the rest of a mid-size bottle of seltzer water and was able to get most of it in there.

2. I've only made four servings' worth of juice so far and I get two more when I get home. I'm thinking I'll do one more savory and one more sweet.

3. My coworkers think the sweet one (creatively named "Apple Cantelope Honeydew Kale Swiss Chard") smells really good (it does). They think my lunch -- Great Greens(apples, spinach, swiss chard, cucumber, celery, fennel and basil) -- smells like a garden (it does).

4. My breakfast -- ABCs (Asian pears, apples, beets, carrots, chard and cabbage) -- was pretty good too. The beets...uh...don't seem to have made it through the ol' bladder yet, which is interesting, but I keep going to the bathroom wondering if THIS is the time I'll forget that I drank two beets' worth of juice and instead think that I'm hemmoraging.

5. Dinner will be the V28, which amongst many other things, has THREE beets.

6. The recipes, by the way, are available on the site I'm sorta loosely following. "Loosely" because I didn't ramp into this and I'm not planning on ramping out, NO MATTER HOW MANY people tell me I'll get sick if I jump right out of juice and into nachos. All I know is that in the documentary that inspired this, the dude ended his 60 day juice fast with AN APPLE. Snoooooze.

7. Speaking of breaking the fast, I did bump this up by a few days so that I could enjoy days three and four over the weekend because they're supposed to be the bitchiest. The double bonus there is that when I break my fast, it'll be on a Sunday, which means that I can have nachos for breakfast and spend all day with my very own toilet at my disposal.

8. My last meal, by the way, was NOT nachos. It was a chicken cesar salad because that's what I planned to eat on Wednesday night and since the rescheduling of the fast didn't happen until Tuesday night, I felt obligated to eat the food in my fridge.

So there you go, Internet...halfway through day one. Nine and a half left to go. My mood is good, I'm hungry but not dying, everything is fine. I'm mostly interested to see what happens when the crazy in my head kicks in and tells me that I MUST! EAT! EVERYTHING! NOW!, but until then, everything is fine.

3 comments:

  1. Happy juicing! I tried a juice fast once and I only lasted a day and a half, but it did help with my sugar (and, yes, nacho) cravings, which were out of control at the time.

    One simple, tasty combo is carrot, apple and parsley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice! I'm going to have to check out that movie, looks really interesting. My dad did a juice fast for 10 days several years ago... I've never tried it myself but I might some day. I'll see how you do first. ;-) good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOOD to know that 2 days worth was at least financially manageable. I signed up on the site to start in September. Too much is going on right now for me to start any time sooner. One thing I did notice after I got my juicer and was just trying my own concoctions is that I don't really like beet juice much. It seems to be a staple in many of the juice recipes. I guess because it has super awesome nutrients or something. I definitely liked any fruit concoctions!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive