Friday, September 9, 2011

The most excited I've ever been for a date...especially one I won't be going on.

Four score and seven thousand years ago, I worked for this dude who EVERYONE thought was SUPER HOT but I, Queen of Flirting and Crushes, did not. I mean, I *did*, because he was undeniably attractive and we got along really, really well and to this day I'd count him as one of my favorite bosses of all time, but I just never thought of him like that.

A couple years after I stopped working for him I happened to have paid for a month of eHarmony and one morning I woke up to HIS face in my daily "You've been matched with these men" email and even though I hadn't worked for him in a while, I knew he'd be HORRIFIED if I knew he'd been internet dating (he's very private) so I LAUNCHED myself out of bed, looked up an actual phone number for the peeps at eHarmony and called them to beg them to UNDO IT. I told them that he was my current boss (even though he wasn't), and we all agreed that OH DEAR, THAT WOULD BE AWKWARD and they made it go away.

I liked that dude enough to save him from the horror. And what's totally interesting is that I TOTALLY get why eHarmony would match us -- we for sure got along really well, definitely liked and respected each other and blah blah blah. So good job, eHarmony...sort of. I knew there was a 0% chance of us dating, despite the platonic compatibility, but mostly I just wanted to save him from waking up to that email announcing that Elizabeth from San Jose would be a great match for him.

(Former) EMPLOYEE OF THE YEAR!

So anyway...some of you know this story. One of my BFFs, who I won't out as an internet dater, even totally knew this story once I started refreshing her memory earlier this evening.

How'd it come up, you might wonder?

Well, internet...let me tell you something:

We were out having a drink or two and she admits that there's this dude from the internet who she's going to meet next week. He's much more her type than [this other dude], she tells me. I groan because her type tends to = DOUCHEBAG. And then she tells me that he used to work for PG&E (my old company) and that his name is [Dude]. I immediately inquire "[Dude] Smithersborgen?" And she confirms that YES! THAT'S HIM!

And then I OMG NO WAY!!!!! And then tell her how THIS IS EXACTLY PERFECT!!! Because I REALLY, GENUINELY liked that dude and he is ABSOLUTELY attractive and there's no reason for me to have been so definitely not attracted to him OTHER THAN PSYCHICALLY KNOWING THAT MAYBE MY BFF IS GOING TO DATE HIM IN THE FUTURE!!

So I told her that he is for sure attractive, he's for sure wonderful and that all the gay men and straight women in the office had the hots for him (except for me) and that the running joke was that maybe if [The Other Boss Dude] had [Dude's] sexy accent, people would be more willing to listen.

But she had no idea that he had an accent because they haven't actually met yet. But she does already know that he doesn't like vegetables, which is a fact I can confirm because as Self-Appointed Employee of the Year, I knew to order his lunch without vegetables.

So anyway, internet, I am SO EXCITED about this date and I'm not even going on it!!!! And at the very least, I hope he doesn't freak out (he's very private) when he finds out that his hot date is BFFs with ME. But on the other hand, I really like that dude and I do think he's good enough for her, which is a rare thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive