Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I didn't want a pink stuffed elephant doll. And: Baby Girl Skywalker.

We had a work event at Dave & Buster's tonight. The food sucks and I'm not into the arcade AT ALL so I'm never JUMPING! UP! AND! DOWN! to go, but I did end up having a good time for a three reasons:

1. I got to watch two chicks I work with, including the Amazing Race Winner, play Dance Dance Revolution.

When we first got there, there were 10 or so geeks watching the current players (dancers?) and it was unclear who was next. The Amazing Race Winner just walked right up to one of the dudes, smiled real big, and asked him if he was in line.

I was FASCINATED to see that she was like hot oil in a frying pan because DAAAAMN, the geeks all SCATTERED as soon as a gorgeous girl in figure-hugging suit asked if she could play next.

I'll also say that this chick has many talents, but DDR'ing isn't one of them. (XOXO SS!)

2. I had 20 or so tickets after playing a few rounds of Deal or No Deal and *I* sure as heck didn't want any of the prizes available in the "store" so I gave them away to a pre-teen who acted like I'd just given him a million dollars.

So sweet. Made my night.

3. While I was watching some colleagues play skee ball (an awful value in terms of ticket winnings), I swiped my card on one of those machines where you drop a coin in the slot and hope to make other coins fall off the edge and then you get tickets based on how many coins drop off the edge.

It started with just me and one other chick killing time by dropping coins, but then we figured out the strategy and the tickets just came pouring out. It wasn't too long before all six spots of this otherwise totally unpopular game were filled with a bunch of us, all in our professional ensembles in a sea of Raiders jerseys, trying to knock coins off the ledge.

I ended up with a huge pile of tickets at my feet and I was sort of excited to go find another pre-teen and make his day with an armload of free tickets. One dude I worked with really wanted my tickets for himself but DUDE, YOU WORE A DOLCE AND GABANA POLO SHIRT to last night's crab feed -- you don't need my tickets.

And then another chick I work with thought I should give them to one of our peeps so he could get something good for his kid.

But no, I wanted to go make some stranger kid's day.

So we walked around, looking for the recipient of my riches but it had gotten late and most of the people in there were too old or too non-fresh-faced-and-adorable to earn my tickets. I did find one kid who I really wanted to give them to, but realized that he was VERY BUSY playing some sort of machine gun video game where he had to kill swamp creatures or something and I didn't want to interrupt him. I tried to wait him out, but he never died and realized that I was the 35 year old woman standing around, "watching" a 12-year-old play a video game and THAT'S not flattering, so I gave up on him.

I did eventually find a chubby 12-year-old who looked like he might appreciate my tickets so I offered them to him but he looked like a deer in the headlights and wouldn't take them and called for his mom.

Damn.

But I couldn't just walk away because that would have been weird too, so I was like "Dude, I'm just trying to give you my tickets. I don't want them" but my generosity was VERY CONFUSING.

His mom eventually came over (with a decent handful of tickets already) and I had to explain that I was just trying to get rid of my tickets. She was surprised and happy to take them, but it just wasn't the same as the pre-teen GLEE that I experienced earlier with my measly 20 tickets.

BOO for not just giving them to Dolce & Gabana, but I guess that kid's mother should be pleased that her kid doesn't take candy (tickets) from strangers.

----------

In other "I Work With Interesting People" news, another chick I work with told me today that her college roommate was Luke Skywalker's daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive